Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Those were the Capgemini Days - Intitial Days

It's a very funny feeling when one quits an organisation after serving it for couple of years. I am facing a similar situation in my life right now. I worked for Capgemini Consulting India – Mumbai for 37 months and have recently joined Wipro Technologies Bangalore. I joined Capgemini (then called Cap Gemini Ernst & Young) after a campus selection and it being my first job (technically second) found it to be another “HOME”. I have been staying away from my family since the last ten years now and have made couple of places where I lived as my home away from home but the feeling here is a bit different. I guess leaving the first company always seems to be interesting for most of us, but it so happens that I am undergoing it right now. I still feel as though I have been sent on another assignment on behalf of Capgemini. I am still coming to terms with calling myself a Wiproiite and trying to adapt to the culture and lifestyle.

I met quite a few guys in Capgemini and enjoyed interacting with almost all of them. I remember joining Capgemini in June 2003 alongwith 3 Symbi guys and 10 IIT-SOM guys from Powai. The Symbi guys were Isaac Manuel, Jaidev Singh Rathore and Anuj Sharma. All the three of them quit before me. Isaac and Jaidev entered SAP and Anuj after getting his CA moved into the Financial Arena. The SOM guys were great guys too – Aseem Gaur, the 2 Saurabh's, Himabindu, Akhilesh Madhukar, Parag Jain, Yashasvi Venkatesh, Amit Khandelwal, R***** and one more who left pretty early. We were the famous 14 as we used to call ourselves. All of us joined on 16th June 2003 and were together for the next 45 days or so. We all underwent a training in JD Edwards and had a bench period wherein we used to be either be in the Canteen eating Bourbon n coffee and having big GD sessions on various topics or discussing about projects with whatever little knowledge we had on IT(MBA gyaan) or play network games in the corner cubicles (!!!! ????) of mezzanine floor or go for smoke breaks outside the Godrej campus and crib a lot. We used to go either in our bikes or Ashwin’s Ford (F1) or the Patel bhai’s Accent. We enjoyed couple of parties in CG and got a photograph clicked with the then CEO of CGE&Y India – Salil Parekh. Slowly we(the famous 14) all drifted into different roles and practices. I was involved in the meeting with Baru Rao (COO then) – famous six, wherein we were asked to find a project for ourselves or face some tough decisions. Scary isn’t it. We all somehow settled into some kind of roles in the organization.
After spending a couple of months on Risk Management, Internal Systems, Quality and some Reporting. I started into risk management alongwith Vikas Bhatia and was lateron joined by Anand Krishnamoorthy(Manager) and Sankar Vorapattur(Assoc. Dir). They were kind of my first bosses in Capgemini. I still remember those days when Isaac used to put in his best efforts to learn SAP and I made certain attempt too. Isaac got a job in SAP(IBM-Bangalore) and moved on. Jaidev was settled in an SAP project after having a 2 month stint in JDE. Anuj was somehow hanging on to Peoplesoft just to complete his CA. Saurabh got an offer from an MNC as a liaison person for their IT outsourcing in Bangalore and got married later on. Aseem, Madhukar and Saurabh Kumar got into SAP-PP/MM and hung on for a few months. The rest of the guys moved to IDEAX project or some other roles and then quit over a period of 7-8 months. In the meantime I moved on to JDE practice only after I put in my papers. After 15 days of recap was put onto the mother of all JDE projects in India – HPCL. I made a modest beginning as a fresher there.

No comments: