Monday, January 09, 2006

Nostalgia - Simscompany

Well I finished my B-school studies from SIMS - Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune in the year 2003. When I joined SIMS I thought that I will easily scrape through the B-school rigours. I thought an engineer from an REC with a decent academic track record and great analyzing skills, good communication skills and the right attitude of bend-your-back and do the work - what else is required. But alas it was an awakening for me as I realized a B-school is all about the art of liasoning with the concerned people (practically could be an educated whizkid to a 10 grader) and getting the work done from them. Sending the right feelers right across the organisation/team. The ability to understand the subject is not relevant but how to confidently justify it to someone else is more important. The basic ideology being - " Truth is just a perception". The environment has lot of variables to devise a complex equation and to always seeing the broader picture instead of getting into the nitty-gritties as there are horses on hire to get the job done. You need to just confidently state few basics to grab the appreciation of others. The two big regrets of my B-school were I was never good at public speaking and have a good amount of confidence which I could not overcome in this period. And still have never overcome them. Also another aspect I feel lacking in me is to take a stand when it is required. I have kind of lost my risk-taking abilities over a period of time because of the above stated shortcomings of mine. But I have the will to overcome all of these one day, hopefully in the near future. At least regain my confidence and awaken my risk-taking capabilities.

I came across in a nice freind/pal in Mukesh Bhatt who continues to be a very good freind as on date. We formed a group which we ended up calling SIMSCOMPANY. The group initially had Tanesh, Rao, Bhatt and myself. Later on Karan and Bhaskar were included. The core of the group was to get behind each other when needed (95% of the times during fights of which majority were initiated by US) and the second was to effectively take each others trip all the time and thirdly to help each other during placements. We boozed together, chatted in "Fauji Mess" on most of our Brunches and snacks, ate at "Chaitanya" - a PUNJABI mess on FC rd and had most our parties either in each others room or treats at G Da Dhaba on Mumbai-Pune bypass.

There used to be lot of parties in the college and so there used to be lot of fights with out group. The other memorable people in the batch were quite a few - Delphi, Sheru, Bharat, Mayur, Praneet, Anubhav Kohli, Sherry, Louis, Nishant and quite a few others. I also had a huge crush on this girl called Sheila Kaveri, a very nice decent, beautiful girl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi

This is ur junior from the batch of 2006.

Regards
Karun
karunbirsingh@tataelxsi.co.in

Sarfraaz Ahmed said...

UUUhhhh .. crush ;-) .. had a chance to talk to her ? Good Luck if you havent yet ...

Reading about your experience on B-school was nice. And, well about confidence, if you have the appetite to just try out something new, confidence will come along. My thoughts are that, you wont lose anything by failing, but would definately miss something just because you didnt try it. So, when you have an opportunity, just jump into it ...